WOOD & SONS LTD
1910–1982 (Inc. 1910)
Manufacturer of earthenware at the Trent, New Wharf and Stanley Potteries, Burslem.
The Wood & Sons business was established in 1865 by Absalom Wood and his son T. F.
Wood. The business traded first as Wood & Son, then as Wood & Sons (from c.1907)
and was incorporated as Wood & Sons Ltd, in 1910. Mr Harry F. Wood succeeded his
father, T. F. Wood, as chairman in 1921 and under his management Wood & Sons Ltd
became a large and successful earthenware manufacturer. Associated companies included
H. J. Wood Ltd (at the Alexandra Pottery, Burslem), Bursley Ltd (later renamed Susie
Cooper Pottery Co. Ltd, at the Crown Pottery, Burslem) and the Ellgreave Pottery
Co. Ltd (Ellgreave St, Burslem).
The business became a public company in 1954 under the style Wood & Sons (Holdings)
Ltd, although Wood & Sons Ltd continued as the main operating company. The business
went into receivership in December 1981 and was sold to members of the Yorke family
(some of whom were Board members of the failed company). Under its new owners the
business traded as Wood & Sons (1982) Ltd until its closure in 1995.
Wood & Sons Ltd and its subsidiaries produced a vast array of well designed, good
quality earthenware for the middle market. The company produced mainly teaware, tableware,
fancy earthenware and hotelware. Ivorine China, a semi-porcelain body, was produced
in the 1930s and from the 1940s ‘Beryl Ware’—tableware in a green coloured body—was
popular. Trade names included ‘Wood’s Ware’, ‘Bursley Ware’, ‘Woods Ivory Ware’ and
© Mike Perry 2010