HUDSON (WILLIAM HUDSON (& CO.))
Manufacturer of bone china at the Alma Works and, from c.1892, the Sutherland Works,
Longton. Formerly a partnership between Joseph H. Middleton and William Hudson (1870–1889)
at the Alma Works, the partners separated and William Hudson continued on his own
account moving to the Sutherland Works in c.1892. At some point, control of the Hudson
business passed to his son-in-law George Edwin Barlow and (his brother?) Thomas George
Barlow. In 1941 the business of J. H. Middleton & Co. (owned by the Barlow and Chapman
families) was moved to the Sutherland Works of William Hudson under the wartime Concentration
Scheme, and the principals combined the two businesses as Hudson & Middleton Ltd.
William Hudson & Co. manufactured good quality tea and tableware using the ‘Sutherland
China’ trade name. The mark (from c.1936) was a lion rampant below the well known
trade name 'Sutherland China'.
© Mike Perry 2010