Manufacturer of bone china and earthenware at the Sutherland Works, Normacot Rd,
Longton. Hudson & Middleton Ltd was established in 1941 through the amalgamation
of two businesses owned by the Barlow and Chapman families and trading as ‘William
Hudson & Co’ and ‘J. H. Middleton & Co.’.
From the 1950s the business was run by fathers and sons Eric Vardon Chapman and George
E. V. Chapman, and Eric Hudson Barlow and Grenville Barlow. Family control ceased
in 1972 when the business was sold to Barker Ellis Silver Co. Ltd of Birmingham.
Barker Ellis continued the business under the Hudson & Middleton name, but production
of earthenware ceased in 1974 and in mid-1975 the residual Hudson & Middleton Ltd
business including the Sutherland Works was sold to new owners including the former
managing director George Fairweather. The new business operated as Hudson & Middleton
Hudson & Middleton Ltd were important manufacturers of domestic earthenware and bone
china wares including tea and tableware, floral china, ornamental china and bone
china mugs. Trade names included Delphine China (to c.1947), Sutherland China, Royal
Sutherland, and Royal Kendal. The Hudson & Middleton Ltd mark was a lion rampant
flanked by the letters 'H' and 'M'.