JACKSON & GOSLING LTD
1866–1961 (Inc. 1928)
Manufacturer of bone china tablewares under the ‘Grosvenor China’ trade name. The
Jackson & Gosling partnership was established in 1866 at the Grosvenor Works in King
St. Fenton, moving to the Grosvenor Works, Gregory St. Longton in 1909.
The business was acquired by Mr. A. E. Hewitt and Mr. Harold J. Plant in the 1920s
and was incorporated as Jackson & Gosling Ltd in 1928. The partnership was short-lived
and in 1931 the business was merged with that of W. T. Copeland & Sons Ltd, A. E.
Hewitt joining Ronald and Gresham Copeland as directors of the enlarged Copeland
business. In December 1950 W. T. Copeland & Sons Ltd sold Jackson & Gosling Ltd to
Mr. Donald Poole, formerly the production manager and a director of Thomas Poole
& Gladstone China Ltd. The Grosvenor Works was sold to Shelleys in 1953 and the factory
demolished in the following year.
The Jackson & Gosling Ltd business and Grosvenor China trade name were acquired by
the New Chelsea China Co. Ltd (owner possibly Susie Cooper and/or the Plant family)
in August 1957. The ‘Grosvenor China’ trade name continued in use and in 1961 a newly
formed company Grosvenor China Ltd acquired the Jackson & Gosling Ltd business and
took over the New Chelsea China Co. Ltd’s Chelson St. Works.
© Mike Perry 2010