BARKER BROS LTD
1876–1981 (Inc. 1882)
Manufacturer of earthenware and bone china at the Meir Works, Barker St, Longton.
Barker Bros was founded in 1876 and incorporated as Barker Bros Ltd in 1882. The
business was acquired in 1910 by brothers William, Joseph and Arthur Hewitt and from
1928 to 1945 was owned and managed by William E. Hewitt. Sampson Smith Ltd was acquired
in 1939 and from 1941 to 1945 production of the two firms was concentrated at the
Barker Bros factory.
Barker Bros Ltd was taken over by Alfred Clough Ltd in 1959, but production under
the Barker Bros name continued until the business closed in 1981 following the dispersal
of the assets of Grindley of Stoke (Ceramics) Ltd (a successor company to Alfred
Barker Bros was an important manufacturer of mid-range earthenware tableware under
the ‘Meir’, ‘Primrosa’, ‘Tudor Ware’ and ‘Royal Tudor Ware’ names. The ‘Royal Tudor’
name was also used by successor businesses including Grindley of Stoke (Ceramics)
Ltd (1978-1982) and Federated Potteries Co. Ltd (1982-1987). Barker Bros Ltd produced
domestic tableware, teapots and fancy earthenware. Virtually all marks include the
name Barker Bros.
© Mike Perry 2010