Henry Doulton was particularly fortunate in his choice of John Slater as the first
Art Director for the Nile St, Burslem, factory. A talented painter, Slater had been
apprenticed at Mintons Ltd under Joseph-Francois-Leon Arnoux before succeeding his
brother Albert Slater as the art director of Pinder, Bourne & Co. Doulton retained
Slater who continued as Art Director until 1914; only to be succeeded by the versatile
and equally talented Charles John Noke.
The artists and decorators assembled by John Slater and his successors at Burslem
from the 1880s onward matched in skill those of Worcester and Derby and were responsible
for Doulton’s phenomenal success as a manufacturer of ornamental ware and tableware
in both earthenware and bone china.
Artists were recruited from the Lambeth factory, attracted from the other fine china
manufacturers including Minton, Royal Crown Derby and Royal Worcester, and were also
taken from the various art schools and trained in-house.