Manufacturer of china and earthenware at Cauldon Place, Shelton, and from 1935 at
the Crescent Pottery, Stoke. Pottery industry entrepreneur Harold Taylor Robinson
bought Cauldon (Brown-Westhead, Moore & Co.) Ltd from its receiver in 1920 for £100,000.
Robinson then ‘promoted’ to friends and investors a new company Cauldon Potteries
Ltd to which he then sold Cauldon Ltd receiving in consideration £90,000 in Cauldon
Potteries Ltd shares.
Robinson controlled Cauldon Potteries Ltd and used the company as the base for his
varied and ever expanding pottery empire. J. A. Robinson & Sons Ltd and its many
subsidiary companies was merged into Cauldon Potteries Ltd and this was followed
by the acquisition of Coalport China (John Rose & Co.) Ltd in 1924. By 1932 companies
under the Cauldon Potteries umbrella included Allertons Ltd, Brown-Westhead, Moore
& Co. Ltd, Robinson & Leadbeater, Arkinstall & Son, J. A. Robinson & Sons, Ltd, G.
L. Ashworth & Bros, Ridgways (Bedford Works) Ltd, F & R. Pratt & Co. Ltd, Grindley
Hotel Ware Co. Ltd and W. H. Goss Ltd (this list is not exhaustive).
Robinson’s businesses, especially those exporting to North America suffered from
the effects of the Great Depression and in 1932 Cauldon Potteries Ltd was placed
in receivership by its debenture holders (Harold Taylor Robinson was declared bankrupt
at about the same time). The Cauldon Potteries Ltd assets were sold and Cauldon Potteries
Ltd and its Coalport subsidiary were acquired by Harrison & Son (Hanley) Ltd. In
1935 the Harrisons consolidated their pottery interests at their George Jones & Sons
Ltd (Crescent China) works and the three firms (George Jones, Cauldon and Coalport)
operated as a group although maintaining their separate identities.
In 1958 the fine china operations of the group, primarily Coalport but including
parts of the Cauldon Potteries Ltd and George Jones businesses were sold to E. Brain
& Co. Ltd. By 1962, the remaining earthenware business trading as Cauldon Potteries
Ltd was in liquidation and the name and goodwill was acquired by Pountney & Co. Ltd
of Bristol. Note: There are more recent users of the Cauldon (or Royal Cauldon) Potteries